Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Johnson, E.K. (2018). Waves: Scaffolding self-regulated learning to teach science in a whole-body educational game. Journal of Science Education and Technology. Springer. doi:10.1007/s10956-018-9753-1 Link
- Lindgren, R., Tscholl, M., Wang, S., & Johnson, E. (2016). Enhancing learning and engagement through embodied interaction within a mixed reality simulation. Computers & Education, 95, 174-187. Link
- Sabbath, R., Hanson, K., Johnson, E., Giroux, A. L., Billings, D., Garber, Z., and Zaas, P. (2017). The potential of digital media in teaching Biblical and Jewish Studies. Mentalities/Mentalités, 30, 5.
Peer Reviewed Book Chapter
- Johnson, E. & McDaniel, R. (in press). Using procedural rhetoric to analyze patient education games: Re-Mission. In Hubbell, G. (Ed.) Critical Definitions of Games: Essays in Game Criticism. McFarland.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Johnson, E. and Sullivan, A. (2018). BeadED Adventures: Using tangible game artifacts to assist STEM Learning. International Academic Conference on Meaningful Play Proceedings, East Lansing, Michigan, October 12, 2018. ETC Press.
- Johnson, E. and Sullivan, A. (2018). Facilitating Undergraduate Experimental Game Design: A Pilot Study with Celestial Harmony. Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS) conference proceedings series from Immersive Learning Research Network Conference, Missoula, Montana, June 24-29, 2018. Springer. Link
- Johnson, E., Giroux, A. L., and Merritt, D. ELLE the EndLess LEarner: A Second Language Acquisition Virtual Reality Game. Demonstration. (2018). In Beck et al. (Eds.). Proceedings from fourth Immersive Learning Research Network Conference, Missoula, Montana, June 24-29, 2018. 136-141. University Graz University of Technology Press. Link
- Merritt, D. F., Johnson, E.K., Giroux, A. L. (2017). ELLE the EndLess LEarner: Exploring Second Language Acquisition Through an Endless Runner-style Video Game. Proceedings from Digital Humanities 2017 in Montreal, Canada, August 8-11, 2017. ADHO.org. Link
- Johnson, E.K., Smith, P.A., Dombrowski, M., Buyssens, R. (2017) SuperJam: Participatory design for accessible games. In Lackey, S., & Chen, J. (Eds.). (2017). Proceedings from Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality: 9th International Conference, VAMR 2017, Held as Part of HCI International 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9-14, 2017, (Vol. 10280). Springer. Link
- Tscholl, M., Lindgren, R., & Johnson, E. (2013). Enacting orbits: refining the design of a full-body learning simulation. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Interaction Design and Children (pp. 451-454). ACM.