ELLE, The EndLess LEarner: An interdisciplinary digital humanities collaboration
We were awarded internal Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) funding to add a professionalization pack to the game—Portuguese language students researched job interview questions common to Brazil and Portugal that were then incorporated into the database. Players can then choose to add this group of questions to their game, augmenting language learning with important professionalization skill practice.
This endless-runner-style language learning game sprung up from a Games Research Group meeting where we watched a demo of the endless-runner in Unreal. After our research team received the honor of first runner-up for an internal grant (but no funding), we pitched the idea to a Computer Science Capstone course and got a top-notch group of students to make it a reality.
The first iteration of the project won Best Computer Science Project at the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s Fall 2017 Senior Design Showcase!
- Dr. Amy Giroux, Computer Research Specialist in the Center for Humanities and Digital Research
- Dr. Emily Johnson, Visiting Assistant Professor, Games and Interactive Media
- Dr. Don Merritt, Director, Office of Instructional Resources
- Dr. Sandra Sousa, Assistant Professor of Portuguese
- Dr. Gergana Vitanova, Associate Professor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Computer Science capstone teams
- Georg Anemogiannis (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Eric Butt (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Tyler Chauhan (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Megan Chipman (BS Computer Science, 2017)
Christopher Ward (BA, Digital Media-Game Design Track, 2017)
Lily (Lark) Nghi (BA, Digital Media, 2018)
James Distel (BA, Digital Media, in progress)
- Mark Behler
- Phillio Da Silva
- Ian Holdeman
- Santiago Perez Arrubla
- Christian Acosta – Database Developer
- Kyle Hendricks – Android Developer
- James Jachcinski – iOS Developer
- Mustapha Moore – Website Developer
- Dominic Rama – Android Developer
UCF QEP (Quality Enhancement Plan) $3,500 grant to improve game aesthetics, include professionalization module, and implement game into Spring 2019 Portuguese language courses.
A Second Language Acquisition Virtual Reality Game. Demonstration. Proceedings from Immersive Learning Research Network Conference, Missoula, Montana, June 24-29, 2018. Graz University of Technology (Austria). [ELLE 1.0 VR]
Anemogiannis, G., Butt, E., Chauhan, T., & Chipman, M. ELLE, The EndLess LEarner Videogame: Language Acquisition Through Interactive Technology. Demonstration at Humanities Arts Science Technology Alliance Consortium (HASTAC), Orlando, Florida, November 2-4, 2017. [ELLE 1.0 VR & PC]
Anemogiannis, G., Butt, E., Chauhan, T., & Chipman, M. ELLE (EndLess LEarner): Learn a Second Language with Virtual Reality Video Game. Presented at UCF College of Engineering and Computer Science Fall 2017 Senior Design Showcase November 30, 2017. *Awarded Best Computer Science Project [ELLE 1.0 VR & PC]